‘Promote,’ comes from the Latin meaning ‘to move forward.’ Today there are three meanings that are all related to this. Firstly, it can mean to get a higher position in the workplace. The second meaning is to help sell something. And a third meaning is that you can promote a point of view.
- Sarah was promoted to Head of Department.
- Coca-cola and Pepsi are so well known because they do a lot of promotion of their products.
- Mr Baldwin keeps trying to promote his view for a new economy, but no-one is interested.
- Collocations: When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
prior engagement, prior meeting, prior to
project manager, projection for, projection of
promotion of, promotion for, promotional material, promoted to, promoted by
regime changeCheck the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Vocabulary for IELTS – Academic Word List 46
Complete the sentences below with the correct words and the correct form of the word.
- Have you seen the _______________material for the new Star Wars movie? (regime, promote)
- The teaching _______________ is highly respected in many countries. (promote, profession)
- _______________ losses for this year are alarming. (project, prior)
- He was given the job because he has ______________ experience in the area.( prior, project)
- There have been several _______________ changes and a lot of upheaval in that part of the world in the last few years. (regime, profession)
Answers (in the wrong order)
5. regime 3. Projected 2. profession 4. prior 1. promotional